Hello Internet

This is a blog about things on my mind. I am an ordinary guy from Vaasa Finland and present a teacher @VAMK University of Applied Sciences. My motto is "Carpe Diem". I try to stay curious and learn new things every day. I actually started this blog a couple of years ago when I bought an iPad as my assistant (I could not do without it anymore), but I did not have the energy to keep it up. I made a new start in April 2016. I hope that there will be posting more often in the future :)

Professionally I am into ICT & Business and interested in new trends and I want to help companies to improve their Businesses through new innovations in Digitalization and IoT. I teach System Modeling (UML), Project Management and CRM and in between tutor students in working life Projects.
I teach in English and Finnish. I like to be international and write my blogs in English. This is also a great way to improve my English skills. A while ago I found out that Lean Thinking in Teaching is cool. There might be some postings on Lean in the future.
Feel free to read and comment.

You will find some background information on me om my Home Base: http://kennorr56.wix.com/homebase

Tuesday 26 April 2016

The Learning Process

In this posting I will reflect on the Learning Process inspired by the "Cone of Learning" (which is actually, and I am glad to say, a part of our Pedagogical Guide here @VAMK) and the possibilities presented in a picture of "Blended Learning" (found on Internet - sorry for not remembering the source). I have combined these and made a Mind Map (actually a Visual Control Card created long before I came on contact with that concept) for my own use. But since I started this Blog I might as well share it here. While reading about Lean Teaching (in the book by the same name by Bob Emiliani, see earlier posting) I found out that I actually think in terms of Lean and that might be why I am so exited about this.

So, the first picture shows the whole picture, but since it is so small i divided it into pieces.

The second picture shows how the student is learning things and that got me thinking, what is my role in the process? In the third picture I have pictured the sources of learning experiences that the student might use or "live through" in order to learn.

OK, so what is my role? In the fourth picture I thought about what I should do to make learning possible. Note: lecturing is actually just a small part of this.
In this reasoning, I take it for granted that students take responsibility for their own learning. I'm still working on changing my way of thinking in order to make it possible for the student to do this and reach his/her goals. Lean Thinking is about helping the customer to achieve his/her goals. Lean Thinking is now helping me to find new ways to implement learning experiences as a teacher. In Lean Thinking, sorry Teaching, the student is the customer.

Based on the "Cone of Learning" the students will remember the most (deep learning) by participating and talking and doing. So it is up to me (us) to make this possible - do you agree?    

So this is the way I am thinking right now. More reflections in my up coming postings. Thanks for reading this one.

Picture 1. The whole Mind Map
,

Picture 2.
 From the student´s point of view



Picture 3. Learning sources or experiences


Picture 4. From my point of vew - What is my role?


No comments:

Post a Comment